- November 7, 2012 by www.urecomm.comBra Fitting Boutique in Ottawa
- October 3, 2012 by Leslie MillerPandora Jewelery: Luxury Jewelery With A Personal Touch
- September 20, 2012 by firstname.lastname@example.orgPerfect Pearl Jewellery for this Autumn
- September 20, 2012 by email@example.comFind Style Inspiration from the IWC Da Vinci Watch
- September 19, 2012 by firstname.lastname@example.orgWestern Shirts For Women – The Perfect Autumn Style Choice
- September 19, 2012 by email@example.comLet There Be Light With These 3 Contemporary Lamps
- September 14, 2012 by Leslie MillerTall Ships Landing: The Lookout Brockville Luxury Condos
- September 7, 2012 by Leslie MillerAdastra Super Yacht by John Shuttleworth Designs
- September 5, 2012 by Leslie MillerFirst St. Regis Resort Comes To Hawaii
- September 5, 2012 by Leslie MillerPartida Estate Grown Organic Elegante Tequila
Splinter A Wooden Supercar
The world’s first wooden super car has been unveiled – and it’s faster than a Porsche or a Lamborghini.The ‘Splinter’ car can turn out a whopping 700 bhp from its twin supercharged, 4.6 litre V8 engine – almost 300 bhp more than a Porsche 911, and with a top speed of a staggering 240 mph, it will leave the Porsche or even the brand new Lamborghini Revanton trailing in its wake.
The entire car, which is made from a combination of maple, plywood and MDF, weighs just 1,134 kg – some 240kg less than the super lightweight Porsche.The eco-friendly two seater machine is fitted with a six-speed manual gearbox and can sprint from 0 to 60 mph in just over three seconds.
Designer Joe Harmon, who is head of the project, said, “Wood is a truly amazing material to work with, It has a higher strength-to-weight ratio than aluminum or steel, and it possesses a versatility that makes many different types of construction techniques possible.”
“The look, feel and smell of a natural material like wood are not seen elsewhere, it can’t be faked, and the satisfaction involved in making something from a piece of wood is awesome.This is a super car designed to push boundaries and prove the potential of wood as a material.”
The 15 ft-long car has a laminated wood veneer chassis and wooden wheel rims inside giant 20 inch diameter tires. Many internal features such as the headrests, have been painstakingly carved, cut and sanded into place. The car uses a number of innovations, including a unique seating position and a wooden suspension system provided through laminated wooden arms and springs made from orange wood.
The wooden car can reach a top speed of 240 mph
Price Tag? The design company has not yet decided on a price for the supercar. The main goal was to “explore materials, learn, teach, share ideas, and stimulate creativity” says Harmon.
Date: March 5, 2012 at 3:15 am- by www.urecomm.com- Posted in Automobiles and tagged Concept Car, eco friendly car, splinter car, supercar, wood car, wooder car- Comment(s): 0