- October 3, 2012 by Leslie MillerPandora Jewelery: Luxury Jewelery With A Personal Touch
- September 20, 2012 by firstname.lastname@example.orgPerfect Pearl Jewellery for this Autumn
- September 20, 2012 by email@example.comFind Style Inspiration from the IWC Da Vinci Watch
- September 19, 2012 by firstname.lastname@example.orgWestern Shirts For Women – The Perfect Autumn Style Choice
- September 19, 2012 by email@example.comLet There Be Light With These 3 Contemporary Lamps
- September 14, 2012 by Leslie MillerTall Ships Landing: The Lookout Brockville Luxury Condos
- September 7, 2012 by Leslie MillerAdastra Super Yacht by John Shuttleworth Designs
- September 5, 2012 by Leslie MillerFirst St. Regis Resort Comes To Hawaii
- September 5, 2012 by Leslie MillerPartida Estate Grown Organic Elegante Tequila
- September 5, 2012 by Leslie MillerDior Golden Jungle Collection for Fall
DeLorean Automobiles: Back To the Future
Few cars are as recognizable as the DeLorean DMC-12. Though only an estimated 9,000 of these cars made it to market before production was halted, the iconic vehicle became a household name during the 1980′s. Part of the reason for the immense popularity was the unique design, the other was the fact that it was featured in the 80′s hit, “Back to the Future.” Oddly enough, the name of the movie matches well with the fate of the DeLorean, as they are still being produced today by a Texas based company known as DMC Texas.
DMC Texas announced the limited production run in 2007, with only 20 vehicles being released in 2008. The term “new” only loosely applies to these automobiles, as they were produced using 80% old parts that were purchased from the original DeLorean company. The under-bodies are vintage, original 1980′s parts. For this reason, the “new” cars retain their original VIN numbers. The remaining 20% of the parts are brand new. Plans for the release of an all electric DeLorean in 2013 have been announced. It has been estimated that the electric DeLorean will carry a price tag of around $90,000 U.S. dollars.
There has been much speculation in regard to why the original DeLorean DMC-12′s were not the hit they were expected to be. The slumping car market of the early 1980′s certainly played an important role. With the car priced as high as $25,000, the equivalent to over $60,000 today, many simply could not afford such a luxury. Reports swirled that there was an extensive waiting list of individuals who were willing to pay well above the suggested retail price. However, a quick collapse of the company resulted in the remaining inventory being sold for much less than the original asking price.
In 1981, the DeLorean Motor Company teamed up with American Express and planned to produce 100 gold plated DeLoreans for the amount of $85,000 each. Only three of these gold versions are known to exist. Two are owned by the original purchasers, with the third being awarded to the winner of a raffle that took place in a Big Lots store. It has been reported that the owner of this third DeLorean is offering it to any purchaser willing to pay $250,000. The privately owned vehicle is currently located in Maryland.
It is estimated that approximately 6,500 of the original 9,000 DeLorean DMC-12′s still exist today. Though many view them as a relic and odd entry in the vehicle history books, there is still interest in owning such a unique vehicle. The new versions will likely be a rare sight, but could show up in a neighborhood near you.
Date: July 9, 2012 at 8:37 pm- by Leslie Miller- Posted in Automobiles and tagged back to the future, delorean, delorean for sale, delorean history, DMC-12, gold delorean- Comment(s): 0